I'm fresh off vacation, soaking in the crisp cool fall air, and polishing up my first of two wax print quilts has been weighing heavy on my mind. This past weekend I hunkered down and pieced together my quilt top, using the magic number squares that I had previously prepared.
Because this quilt top is created entirely out of remnant fabric pieces brought back from Ghana, I didn't have a consistent range of prints in each color, so I did my best to distribute my prints as broadly as possible within their colour grouping. Using 2.5, 4.5, and 6.5 inch squares, I arranged my quilt top using a loose rainbow gradient to help provide a general sense of organization to the quilt.
Last Friday I had an unfortunate run-in on the basketball court and now my foot is sprained... and hopefully not broken (tomorrows x-rays will tell). Determined to finish this quilt top over the weekend though, I took the opportunity to put my 'Start/Stop' Button into good use while I elevated and iced my ankle. I have to say that it was a little awkward at first, but in general, it worked quite well for straight line piecing. On a slower setting, and using a few pins, I even managed to line up my seams quite well.
Though this is just the first of two quilt tops I plan to make with this fabric, I am pretty pleased with how the first one turned out. Playing around with magic numbers was a fun experiment, however it was more time consuming that I had originally thought it would be. For my second wax print quilt top, I might just do some improvisational piecing and we'll see where that leads.
This week I plan on taking a break from the wax prints and starting back up on a couple of baby gifts that have been on the back burner. I'm looking forward to a couple of fast completed projects in the future.