Since I'm generally an early riser, I was able to spend most of my mornings sewing while my Mr. slept in. I finished up the last four blocks and pieced them all together into a finished quilt top. Vacation weeks are the best for making big progress fast! Here are blocks 6, 7, 8 and 9.
I found it very difficult to settle on a final layout and spent days agonizing over it. I even started sewing blocks together and then ripped them apart, moved things around and started again. I ended up with this and am glad I took the time to play with it until I was happy!
I used my original inspiration to guide the layout. The block with the most vibrant purple was placed in the centre of the quilt as a focal point and the blocks with hints of green and lighter purple were placed in the four cardinal points to help move the eye around.
Since I'm planning to use this quilt on a Queen sized bed and had tons of background fabric left, I decided to make a wider border to better frame the blocks. I settled on a 6.5" border all around. The finished quilt should end up at about 88" square.
The background fabric I'm using is an old Anna Griffin print that has a lace scallop close to the selvedge. There is a significant colour difference between the lace scallop and background. While assembling the sashing, I made an effort to stagger the WOF joins to distribute the darker portions of the fabric throughout the quilt top.
I'm working on my backing now and am aiming to get this basted sometime next week.
Hope all of my American friends had a safe and happy 4th of July!