Sunday, 28 September 2014

From K - Finished Directions Quilt

I recently decided it was high time I started to finish up some of the UFOs that have been slowly piling up in my craft room. My Directions Baby Quilt top seemed like the perfect opportunity to practice some FMQ so I whipped up a back and began stitching.

After a few minutes of deliberation, I started by stitching an orange peel design on the half square triangles to give the quilt some motion, and then later added pebbles along the sashing just for fun.
I used 100% of the materials for this quilt from my stash, and it was a fun challenge.
For the quilt back I pieced a few gender neutral prints together.
When choosing binding, I didn't have enough of any one print to work, so I added three prints that complimented the backing.

This project reminded me how fast and fun making baby quilts are.
I think I need to make a habit of making these types of stash busting, no rules, baby quilts in the future.


Thursday, 25 September 2014

From A - Heather Ross Rainbow Quilt

Heather Ross' beautiful prints are part of what got me into quilting. Many, many years ago, my local yarn shop brought in a few of her fabrics just to see whether they would sell. My tuition-paying student brain couldn't quite justify buying more than a half yard of two different prints when I didn't even own a sewing machine.

Those two prints got me thinking about sewing and about how much I liked to sew when I was a kid. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that although I loved to knit, I really wanted to be able to sew. When my 25th birthday rolled around, I asked for a sewing machine.

Shortly after that, I bought fabric for the very first quilt I ever finished. It was a whole cloth baby quilt that I made using two prints I bought at the workroom not long after it opened. One of them was a print from Heather's West Hill collection.

Baby Quilt 

The second quilt I started with my brand new machine was based entirely around the pink mermaid print in Heather's Mendocino collection. When I finally connected the dots and realized that all of these great prints were by the same woman, she had stopped releasing quilting cottons and I was again perplexed at how to incorporate her work into my sewing.

You can imagine how excited I was to hear of her Briar Rose collection and of the recent reprint of her Far Far Away 2 collection. With a few more years of quilting experience under my belt, I stocked up on prints from both collections with a half yard bundle of each and decided to combine them into my perfect quilt. A rainbow tribute to Heather's amazing work (super lame but I'm sentimental like that) using Rae's Rainbow Quilt pattern as my jumping off point.

Rainbow Quilt

Last week, I finished cutting up all of my fabrics and arranged them in colour order.

Rainbow Quilt

I started piecing them all together last weekend and I can say that I am already head-over-heels in love with this quilt.

Rainbow Quilt

The simple construction really lets the amazing hand-drawn quality of these prints shine.

Rainbow Quilt

These collections were made for each other. There is still lots to go on this quilt but it is coming together so quickly since I just can't get enough of this one.

Rainbow Quilt

If you're looking for me this weekend, I'll be sitting at my machine.

Monday, 22 September 2014

From K - Travelux Pearl Update (1st Year Reno)

Last April, I shared a project that my husband and I were about to start - a full overhaul reno of a 1972 Travelux camper, which we lovingly dubbed, our Travelux Pearl.
Most of our friends thought we were crazy. We found an incredibly rare vintage camper in amazing shape, and then decided to gut it. Maybe we were a bit extreme, but we decided early on that we wanted something truly our own, and after Year 1 of renovation, I think we are well on our way!

Since camping season is over for us this summer (cooler weather and work commitments are taking over), I thought it was time I share some before and after (year one reno) photos.

Front Banquet - Before
Front Banquet - After Year One of a Renovation
Kitchen - Before
Kitchen - After Year One of a Renovation
Kitchen with Wardrobe - Before
Kitchen with Wardrobe - After Year One of a Renovation
Sofa Bed - Before
Sofa Bed - After Year One of a Renovation
Washroom - Before
Washroom - After Year One of a Renovation
Some of the highlights from Year 1 of renovations:
  • Walnut cabinetry (with plexiglass upper sliding doors);
  • Solid hickory floors and laminate bathroom floor;
  • Removed the shower stall and replaced with a wardrobe;
  • New countertops and backsplash;
  • New high-efficiency LED potlights;
  • New upholstery;
  • New curtains and throw pillows (not shown);
  • New plumbing, holding tanks, tap sets, and water tank gauges;
  • New thermostat, switch plates, and furnace grates;
  • Painted window frames; and
  • Removed old cracked wallpaper.
We still have some work to complete, and are hoping to get most of it done next spring before we roll out to the mountains next summer.

Some of the remaining items on our renovation list include:
  • Polish and fix-up exterior;
  • Complete kitchen drawer fronts;
  • Complete bathroom cabinetry;
  • Build cabinet doors for the overhead storage in the end caps;
  • Build and install a folding bathroom door;
  • Build a custom solid wood table;
  • Cover fridge with stainless steel;
  • Complete final upholstery
We had such a great time glamping this year. I can't wait for next spring when we can wrap up more renos and hit the road again.